Monday, October 12, 2009

Point Of Veiw Essay On Modern Music and Pop Culture

According to Billboard and their list of the top 50 songs I can deduce from just 3 within then higher rankings in the chart that America’s youth is receiving a disservice. If one looks to the 60’s and 70’s music that dominated the charts contained heartfelt and powerful messages for peace, unity and equality. Now the chart is disgraced by Miley Cyrus’s Party In The USA Beyonce’s Sweet Dreams and Cobra Starship’s Boys Like Girls. These songs which dominate the top of the list all share the same point of view but in all other respects they are pathetic in their lack of poetic devices blatant English grammar violations and a clear lack of any resemblance of intelligence to the real world that their largely illiterate audience also resides in with the exception of the final song by Beyonce which despite my large personal bias I can still appreciate for the lyrical ingenuity and sophisticated use of the English language.

Throughout this list of unbelievable and ear torturing trash there is un-believably rampant amounts of evidence that the singer is out of touch from the rest of the modern an intelligent world and crude use of language that is a disservice to even English which being entomologically descended from German is a vile and harsh language to begin with. In Miley Cyrus’s Party In The USA she displayed her total isolation from the real world starting from the first stanza:

I hopped off the plane at LAX

with a dream and my cardigan

welcome to the land of fame excess,

am I gonna fit in?”… and

“Get to the club in my taxi cab

Everybody's lookin at me now

Like “whos that chick, thats rockin’ kicks?

She gotta be from out of town”

So hard with my girls not around me

Its definitely not a Nashville party

Cause’ all I see are stilletos

I guess I never got the memo

My tummys turnin and I'm feelin kinda home sick

Too much pressure and I'm nervous

That's when the D.J. dropped my favorite tune

and a Britney song was on

and the Britney song was on

and the Britney song was on”

Her glorification of the USA and our way of life is only tolerable by the male audience which is so busy drooling at her nearly entirely exposed body and flashy costume and a young generation of young girls today who from this very young age are already being instilled male objectification and laying the groundwork for total mental instability as a teenager even more so then nature predisposes the human species that will destroy nearly all advances earned by the feminist movement spurned back in the 60’s and 70’s as their civil rights are totally undefended and even willingly capitulated by the upcoming generation. The objectification continues in the next song Good Girls Gone Bad by Cobra Starship even their title even says it all, Good Girls Gone Bad. If The older generation wants to put all these regulations on videogames so you have to be of driving age to get a video or videogame that has the word damn then how come they give their daughter money to go see a concert or go get a CD that basically instructs this generation on how to be the most profitable person in a brothel. And as for the males this song is hardly teaching morals or values relevant to an honest citizen or a minor in the teenage years trying to survive puberty without a criminal record of sex crimes:

“I make them good girls go bad
I make them good girls go bad
You were hanging in the corner
With your five best friends
You heard that I was trouble
But you couldn't resist
I make them good girls go bad
I make them good girls go
Good girls go bad

I know your type
(Your type)
Boy, you're dangerous
Yeah, you're that guy
(That guy)
I'd be stupid to trust
But just one night couldn't be so wrong
You make me wanna lose control

She was so shy
Till I drove her wild”

The lack of poetic devices and pathetic usage of the English language does not add luster to the lack of literary quality of what is supposed to be a song. Beyonce’s song Sweet Dreams is a respite well earned from the trash that dominates the upper parts of the list. Although my clear bias which I do recognize blinds me from further appreciation of the song and the way the music is sung not even I can deny ample amounts of imagery although most of the imagery that is ample is quite repetitive and although some deviate from the following two lines they mostly are the same in content and are the same in the image produced by mind: “Baby long as you're here I'll be floating on air” and “Clouds filled with stars cover the skies”. All of these aspects create a welcome relief for listeners who share my personal music preference and my bias.

Despite the fact that two of the songs out of the three chosen are dependent on fancy costume, and are crudely constructed with a mediocre understanding of the English language they all share the point of view. All three regardless of the despicable quality gap are all sung in the first person. The first song is a romanticized, over dramatized and unrealistic story of what is supposed to be her, a naïve girl, although we know otherwise, arriving in Hollywood. The second song is undeniably the tale of one indulging in the carnal pleasures of intercourse and the seduction of a girl hence the objectification this song like the one before it is also tasteless and crudely constructed and filled with enough gross grammatical errors and misuse it could sink the metaphorical Titanic. In Beyonce’s song Sweet Dreams she is singing her story to her audience which is in short a love strong, but in the interest of fairness it must be noted that while sung from the same point of view Beyonce sung with a much more polite tone and with far more sophistication in her language and use of the English language than her higher scoring peers on Billboard’s list.

All of these songs successfully used the first person point of view to tell a story through their individual songs. Most likely this is a result of the deterioration or a completely lacked skill that of literacy. I say this because the majority of the song use crude language and even then incorrectly so to a point where as the audience is not using and therefore no longer developing brain power that was being done in the 1960’s and 1970’s that is necessary in other fields and is and will continue to make America a laughing stock in the eyes of the educated across the seas and our borders.

2 comments:

  1. "Throughout this list of unbelievable and ear torturing trash there is un-believably rampant amounts of evidence that the singer is out of touch from the rest of the modern an intelligent world and crude use of language that is a disservice to even English which being entomologically descended from German is a vile and harsh language to begin with."

    You sir, are 100% correct. I have the utmost respect for you and your views about this Modern garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont agree with you but this is well writen.

    ReplyDelete